September 19, 2008

Pictures for the last post


I took pictures this morning (at the cost of being quite late for work).
I'm actually still at work so for now I'll just share my sweater.

yarn0908 026


Mmm, RYC Cashsoft. It was one of the first 'nice' yarns I ever purchased. I loooooved it back then and I still love it today. It's really soft and it has an almost silky feel... plus it's machine washable. Go figure.

yarn0908 018


I finished the back last night. I had hoped to finish it earlier but I encountered a few setbacks.

1) I got engrossed in Stargate SG-1. I think for each sweater I'll watch a new TV series. I've never seen Stargate so I started from the beginning and I've been using it as a knitting aid.
After shaping the armholes I needed about 9.5 inches of ribbing. After watching a good third of the first season I realized that I had 12 inches of ribbing. Oops. I considered ripping back but instead chose to meticulously tink.

yarn0908 017


2) During the 9.5 inches of ribbing a ball had run out and so I joined a new one. On my return row I knit one of the tails that crossed my needle and resultingly increased one of the 7 stitch rib columns to 8 stitches. I didn't realize it until I had reached the top and was doing shoulder shaping and couldn't figure out why my 2 shoulders weren't decreasing symmetrically. o_O So, I ended up ripping back about 5 inches.

yarn0908 012


3) I shaped the first shoulder completely wrong. For some reason I was decreasing at the beginning and end of each row... I was actually only supposed to be decreasing at the neck side. I bound off the shoulder and realized my count was all off so I ripped back and realized where I had gone wrong.


So, that's the back. =) I was going to Cast On for the Right Front last night but decided to knock out early. I will be casting on tonight though. Hopefully all the mistakes I've made in the back have fulfilled the karmic error quota and the rest of my pieces will flow a bit more smoothly.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Wonderful colours! Despite your tribulations, it looks great!

Karmic error quota? I wish I could believe in that. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oooo those colors are lovely! And I think that the entire run of SG-1, with ten full US seasons and two movies, might last more than one sweater. ;) I could be wrong, but hey, at least it's a loooong run!

Eikon said...

Yaay! a post. And such a lovely post at that.