March 15, 2009

Running, Malabrigo, and other things


I keep describing my 5k as insane and awesome at the same time. I woke up Sunday morning and looked out the window... it was snowing. Hard.
Now, I expected pretty chilly weather but I was not expecting snow at all. I still went for it. ^_^
It wasn't as bad as I thought it could be; once I got running I warmed up pretty quickly. The snow was falling in my favorite type: big, puffy, drifty, clusters. The only things I really had to contend with was the strong gusts of wind (usually blowing against me), the slippery ground from the snow, and potholes ... covered by snow. But, overall it was an awesome experience--like running in a snow globe.

Maybe this wasn't the best idea but I signed up for an 8k coming up on the 29th. I barely made it through the 5k... I don't know if I'll be ready for an extra 2 miles in 2 more weeks. o_O


So, it's March. For the Malabrigo Junkies group on Ravelry, March means casting on projects in Malabrigo's Merino Wosted.
It's Malabrigo March!
I didn't Cast On anything on the 1st. I had a few ideas in mind but nothing really set. I didn't pick out yarn or finalize any patterns... I was being a bad Junkie. After a few days I pushed forward and got the pattern, some new Malabrigo, and finally CO the Dr. G's Memory Vest. It's a really awesome design and in order to get the pattern you need to make a donation towards Alzheimer's research. It's an awesome way to give.

Picture1-09 113


I haven't done cables in a while so this is fun and refreshing. The cables are small enough that you can do them without a cable needle and once you work through an entire repeat of the center tree chart you'll probably have the pattern memorized. It's not moving as fast as I'd like... but, I spend an average of only 1 or 2 hours a night working on it.

I'm also planning on Casting On for a Brioche Stitch scarf... I just need to decide on my colors.

I received the Malabrigo March prizes straight from Tobias and Antonio of Malabrigo. Here are some pictures:

Picture1-09 122


This is their new line Dos in Caribeano.

Picture1-09 132


This is an un-labeled orange in Merino Worsted. I'd say it's very similar to their Apricot colorway.

We finally have some beautiful weather here... I can't decide whether to run outside or go to the Sunday knitting group. Hmm...

Knit hard!

6 comments:

Laikabear said...

Congrats on finishing your 5K!

How do you handle all that Malabrigo in your house?! I have some on order to make Vaila from Twist Collective. Hopefully it will arrive while it's still March. :)

Nichole D. said...

Dickie! How's life? Hope all is well. just getting back into the blogging world myself.

Anonymous said...

Love your cashmere blend blog. I would like to send this invitation. Be my guest blogger this week.
Hope to read your story or tips soon.

http://cashmere-expert.com
http://cashmere-expert.com/cashmere-yarn.html

Shokay said...

really like your design and style.
-Shokay

We are doing a project and inviting knitters to help us. email joanne@shokay.com for more information

Jeny said...

Thanks for providing the nice design and style.
buy cashmere blend
Thanks..

Cho co said...

The first described hand knit items seem to be stockings made of cotton and silk. rulla garn